The S.K.P. Government Degree College was established by leading citizens of Guntakal Town in Ananthapuram District in 1968 to make higher education accessible to the common people in the region . The College has been named after Sri Kanyaka Parameshwari , the deity of Local vysya community who provided the funding of Rs 1 Lakh .n the beginning the college started functioning in a make shift tin roofed market yard sheds and continued there up to 1984 , when it was shifted to the present permanent campus in the outskirts of the town built over an area of 16.75 acres of land . The college is affiliated to Sri Krishnadevaraya University , Ananthapuram. The institution has got UGC recognition under sections 2(f) and 12(b) in 1970 and 1986 .
This Institution has so far completed 49 years of time serving basically as a font of knowledge to the rustic rural young in the vicinity. It made a humble beginning Five decades ago with 173 students in Pre-University Course. In 1969, Degree courses were introduced. In 1993, English medium of instruction was started in Science groups. As days went by new courses with bi-media combinations were offered and apart from the undergraduate classes Intermediate sections were also run simultaneously. It functioned as a composite college. In 1996 the composite college got bifurcated. Being located far away from downtown it never had been a threat at all. Many enthusiastic learners kept on adding to the rolls. The present strength of Undergraduate students has crossed 1700. One of its strengths is the natural ambience that enhances academic atmosphere too.
During the academic year 2000-01 certain restructured (self-financed) courses were started. Since successful conclusion of any programme depends on goal setting, self-evaluation and self-improvement, we feel it right moment to get ready for introspective preparation for assessment. The college offers 13 programmes including conventional and restructured courses at UG level and 05 programmes at PG level. Nearly 1700 students are now pursuing higher education in this institution. Out of which 80% belong to SC, ST and BC communities. There are about 45 faculty geared up to cater to the academic and professional needs of the students and train them to take advantage of th global employment opportunities. Out of 50 faculty members, 8 hold Ph.D’s, 4 hold M.Phils and 10 members are pursuing Ph.D degrees now. There are 30 Non teaching staff members, assisting the administration for its smooth functioning.
The College was accredited in 2006 by Team of Experts and was given status of B+ grade in Cycle – I with Institutional Score of 74.20 .
In 2013 , the college was visited by NAAC peer team and based on the report of the committee , the college was accredited with ‘B’ Grade ( CGPA of 2.76 ) in Cycle -2 .